Thread: Thailand unite over Bangkok clean up now!

Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thailand unite over Bangkok clean up now!

Red Shirt, Yellow Shirt or Pink Shirt it is time to help clean up Bangkok and join Thailand under one flag again. Set aside your political differences and help Bangkok come back to life. We are waiting for an approval from BMA when people can go down and clean. Right now over 1000 people have joined the Facebook page.

If you have any questions please ask below or in the Facebook page. You can easily connect the forum with Facebook just click FConnect at the top.

Bangkok Unite on Facebook
    Follow me on Facebook Personal Thailand Facebook Personal Thailand Twitter

All news Copyrighted Personal Thailand News Agency if nothing else stated.

Feel free to ask me anything about Thailand but do it in the forum not in PM

We use Skimlinks for advertising if you see any problem please let us know.

Super Moderator
    CLEAN UP BKK WITH UNITY
    The BMA is allowing the public to begin the communal clean up process tomorrow at 9am at the Rama 6 statue front of Lumpini Park & participants will be advised on areas to be cleaned. However,
    safety is still a concern, therefore, we would like to advise everyone to hold off on your efforts as many more
    ways to help in the coming days... & weeks - pls be patient and we will keep you updated as to how you can help.

Super Moderator
    Found a photo from @RichardBarrow Motorists stopping to give food & drink to clean-up volunteers.

Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thai Unity on Big Cleaning Day

After a four-day silence on the streets following the dispersal of anti-government protesters and strict government curfew, the streets came alive again as Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) officials and Bangkok citizens gathered on Sunday 23rd May 2010, and became part of a historical operation to help clean up and restore the beauty of the City of Angels.

Despite having little time to publicize the event, Bangkok received an overwhelming response when over 2,000 people joined the “Big Cleaning Day”, carting away garbage, burnt objects, debris, trash, anti-government posters and graffiti at Ratchaprasong intersection, that has been the home to United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship for over a month. Through word-of-mouth, social networking websites such as Twitter and Facebook, the message reached thousands of people.

A majority of people showed up with their own equipment — broom sticks, kitchen scourers, trowels and scrapers, however equipment was provided by BMA while private companies and independent groups arranged booths to provide drinks, food, snacks and yoghurt to support the volunteers. Volunteers poured detergents, scraped the streets and roads by broomsticks and hosed the streets.

Deputy Bangkok Governor Taya Teepsuwan said on Monday morning that the event had a successful turnout, when it is usually the duty of BMA officials to clean the city. Ms Taya added that it was a “great day”, when public volunteers have showed up to show their support for peace and unity.

The BMA initially focused on Silom, Sala Daeng and Bon Kai community, Ms Taya said adding that more people showed up at Ratchaprasong intersection, Phloen Chit and Pratuman.

As of May 24th, 80-90% of the task has been completed however some areas still needed final touch ups such as replanting trees and flowers on the road dividers while some areas still required the anti-government graffiti needed to be removed. The remaining 20% of the task will be completed this week, Ms Taya said.

As a part of a plan to restore Bangkok, the BMA has also established the “Five Big Moves”, adjusted since the violent clashes and public vandalism on 19 May 2010. The Five Big Moves consists of the “Big Cleaning Day”, building the spirit of the community by holding a religious merit-making event, offering special sales for department stores to relieve their stocks, to restore public safety equipment, such as the close-circuit cameras and send relief packages to assist those affected by the violence.

The two-month political row may have battered and bruised the country, leaving negative wounds and scars to be remembered, but what brought the nation back on its feet will be remembered most of all, from the unity of Thai people and resident’s love and commitment for the Thai Kingdom.

Report from NNT

Super Moderator

Thumbs up Market on Silom this Friday

CLEAN UP BKK WITH UNITY THIS FRIDAY & SATURDAY Come shop on SILOM RD!! Pls come support our city @ TOGETHER WE CAN GRAND SALE!! The BMA is closing the whole Silom road this wknd for over 600 booths that were effected during the protests to open up shop and for YOU to get your shopping engine started again!! Come support your favorite people/shops/brands on Silom, Friday-Saturday (28th-29th May) from 10am to 8pm!! See you all then!!

Super Moderator

Silom Walking Street Market already full

People expected to join walkng street on Silom Rd to help affected operators
    Permanent Secretary for Commerce Yanyong Poungrat invites people to join the walking street, set at Silom Road with the hope to stimulate economy and assist business operators affected by political protest.

Mr Yanyong stated that the walking street had been set at Silom Rd to Narathiwat Rd during 28-29 May 2010, 10.00-19.00 hrs. More than 700 hundred booths of the protest affected operators will display their quality products on sale at low prices.

These operators are the affected group from the riot around Ratchaprasong, Pratunam, Victory Monument and Silom. The Commerce Ministry has provided the location at Impact Arena for some other 200 businesses as well with the cooperation from Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, the Royal Thai Police and the Tourism and Sports Ministry.

A throng of shoppers are expected at the event to help all operators to survive from this crisis. Hundred million THB are foreseen to circulate within this function.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is expected today to give the final answer on whether they could arrange additional market space around Silom area for the rally affected entrepreneurs who have registered in considerable numbers for trading space.

BMA spokesperson Thanom Onketpon said that over 12,000 rally affected entrepreneurs in need of market space have already registered with the BMA and the Center for the Resolution of Emergency Situation (CRES) in order to reserve the market space on Silom road which are to be allocated as part of the preliminary relief measures.

Mr Thanom said, however, that the area around Saladaeng junction and Narathiwat road could hold up to only 600 booths so the officials would have to find ways to satisfy those who are not given the space. He added that the BMA would hastily seek an additional budget worth over 500,000 THB from the government to be used for installing the infrastructure such as electricity and tents around the mentioned area in order to facilitate the sellers.

Silom road will be made a walking street to enable entrepreneurs affected by the arsons in the aftermath of the prolonged UDD rally to release their products remaining in stock. The area will be open to the traders tomorrow from 8.00 hrs to 20.00 hrs.