Thread: Thailand's Top 3 most smelly but delicious dishes

Thailand's Top 3 most smelly but delicious dishes

Top 3.
    Pad sa tor is a famously tasty dish from southern Thailand with an extremely strong smell.
    Sa tor "stink beans" are stir fried with chilis and chicken, pork, beef or shrimp. In fact, I vote this delicious dish the absolute stinkiest in Thailand.

Basically, it smell likes flatulence. But still many Thais love it because it does have an incredibly flavorful taste and health benefits to give.

Top 2.
    Kao klook gapi is simply rice mixed with shrimp paste. Kao means rice, klook means mix, and gapi means shrimp paste. Thais normally eat it with side dishes such as fried mackerel, a cha-om (acacia) omelet and parboiled vegetables.
    This dish is one of my favorites because it’s filling but contains lots of supposed health benefits as you get a whole set of nutrition in one dish. That said, it can be rather spicy and will leave your mouth in desperate need a of a breath mint afterwards.

Top 1.

Som tam pla-ra is the smelliest variety of the world famous spicy papaya salad from the northeast, as it's made with fermented fish.

Some Thais prefer only the fermented fish sauce in their som tum, while others want the whole stinky fish thrown in as well.

Many people even take their love for som tam pla-ra to the next level by adding salted field crabs in it.

Some Thai food seems disgusting to some, more smelly than "durian" but still everybody loves it.
    Last edited by Janice Valencia Capulso; 31st March 2012 at 14:04.

I like Kao klook gapi and Som tam pla-ra
    Best Online Thailand Florist for 2012

Send SMS to your Thai friends SMS Thailand

try Som tam pla-ra! i only smelled it when its served

pla-ra sap is tasty.

I just love Thai food