PDA

View Full Version : Dishonest Taxi Drivers in the Thai Airport

Pee Baa Jub Jub
4th August 2010, 11:50
I flew last month and i must say the scam companies are back asking for a van or taxi more openly now again. The airport taxi moved down to the first floor and the BTS is open from time to time in the ground floor. Two month ago i was there i only saw a few of the old companies but now they are back in full force. The problem is that these scam companies are owned by high ranking military and that is nothing the current government want to touch.

Below news from NNT

Suvarnabhumi International Airport has stepped up its security measures in a bid to ensure safety for foreign tourists against dishonest cab drivers and tourist guides.

Director of Suvarnabhumi International Airport Nirand Theeranartsin has disclosed that, starting from August, the airport will implement strict measures to keep unauthorized cab drivers and tourist guides at bay. Mr Nirand further added that those drivers, who usually way overcharge their passengers, will from now on be prohibited from bringing vehicles into the airport under the guise of taxicabs. Unlicensed tour guides, who often take their unsuspecting clients to the cleaner, will also be definitely barred from the area.

Under the Section 364 of the Penal Code, criminal actions will be taken against those who are found to have violated the new policy twice, or more. If found guilty, they face a jail term of up to one year, and a fine of no more than 2,000 THB, or both. A crime of grievous bodily harm, or one committed at night, will subject the offenders to a maximum of five years in prison, and a fine of no more than 10,000 THB, or both

According to the statistics, over 5,000 dishonest taxi drivers and 9,000 unscrupulous tourist guides have been apprehended since August 2009.